Work from Home Statistics 2023 (+ Updated Covid-19 Stats)
If you are keen to understand how Work From Home is going along with people, over the globe, you're at the right place.
Our Work From Home Statistics for 2020 includes the latest stats related to Covid19. Our WFH stats includes data for April 2020.
2020 has experienced an increasing growth in options for remote work.
Even though I usually work from my office, I have never ruled out the importance of working from home.
In fact, I have always thought working from home makes a lot of room for productivity & creativity in work.
Latest Work From Home Statistics 2020
April 2020 Updates.
- The largest Information Technology Company of the World, TCS announces 75% employees to Work From Home by 2025.
- University of Chicago Economist Jonathan Dingel reports 37% of American work can be done from home.
- Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) reports 52% of canadians are working from home while it was just 7% before the pandemic.
- ANAROCK's analysis predicts Work From Home may not fit all for organizations globally.
- Waveform Reports Millions of Americans are working from home with unreliable Mobile and Internet connections.
- Irishjobs.ie reports 44% of people reported working for longer hours in WFH than in regular office work hours.
- Gartner reports, some people may work from their home permanently even after lockdown covid ends.
- 8 in 10 Singapore employees wish to work from home for life.
- Wakefit reports 67% of Indians got impacted with sleeping patterns due to long work hour.
List of Post Covid Stats 2020
Remote Work before COVID 19
- By 2020 before Covid-19, the U.S already had 7 million people that worked remotely which is 3.4% of the population.
- There has been a growth of 44% for the past 5 years in the number of people that work remotely.
- 43% of employees in the U.S have already worked remotely at some point.
Size of Remote Workforce
- Employees that work remotely for half a week in the U.S. are 4.7 million.
- Employees between the age group 22 and 65 that work remotely occasionally are 62%
- Employees that are part of full-time remote teams is 44%
- No. of people that perform their jobs remotely fulltime is 30% and the no. of people that perform their jobs remotely up to thrice a week is 18%.
Remote Work Types
- Executives that perform their tasks from home more than one-site is 18%.
- Remote workers that contribute individually are 35%.
- Workers that do their tasks in a fully remote company is 30%.
- C-suite members that do their tasks from home at least part-time are 46%.
- On-site workers that worked less than a year in their positions are more than 75%.
Growth of Remote Work
- Workers that work remotely once per week minimum have risen by 400% since 2010.
- People that have the option to work remotely and plan to work from home more often in the next 5 years are 42%.
- The increase in telecommuting between 2017 and 2018 is 22%.
- Workers that wish to choose remote work for the rest of their careers at least part-time are 99%.
- Full-time in-office employees that want to work from home are more than half.
- People that encourage their family and friends to perform their jobs from home too are around 95%.
Job Recruitment & Retention
- Professionals that believe that options for remote work will be vital for HR and recruitment in the future are about 72%.
- Remote or on-site workers that are of the view that the option to perform their jobs remotely would make them happier than ever at their jobs are 83%.
- People that believe that a flexible schedule along with remote work would be the best mix are 40%.
- Employees that feel that with the option to perform their tasks remotely made available in their companies, they would be more encouraged to recommend their company to job candidates are about 81%.
- Employees that feel they would be less likely to leave their company with a remote work option are around 74%.
Productivity and Behaviours of Remote Workers
- Employees that feel working from home makes them more productive are 77%.
- Employees that prefer avoiding their office when they have a project to work to concentrate on.
- Remote workers that believe they can perform longer than they would on-site are 23%.
- Remote workers that are less likely to take off time than they would in an office are 53%.
- Remote employees that take paid vacations of just 3 weeks or even less every year are 43%.
Earning & Benefits
- Remote Employees that earn less than $100,000 annually are 74%.
- People that say that their companies would not compensate for the internet cost if they perform remotely are 75%.
- Remote employees that save up to $5000 annually by avoiding on-site jobs and job travel are 30%.
- Companies that do not pay for the coworking spaces of remote workers are 71%.
- Companies save $11,000/year on an average per half-time telecommuter.
Challenges in Remote Work
- Remote employees as many as more than half feel disconnected from in-office employees.
- Remote workers that find unplugging after work to be difficult is 22%.
- Remote Employees that feel lonely while performing remotely are 19%.
Of course, it would not be possible to track what the employees are exactly doing while they are working from home.
But again, at the end of the day, what matters is the quality and quantity of tasks completed within a given frame of time.
I find the idea of working from home, collaborating with teams, and accomplishing tasks pretty fascinating.
I am also sure that this concept is going to get pretty common in just about a year.
This is the reason that I have listed down around 40 work stats that everyone who is looking forward to exploring remote work, would need to know to comprehend the advantages and challenges relating to work from home.
Whether you are up to starting as a remote worker or looking forward to hiring your first remote team members, keeping in mind all these stats will help you in avoiding the challenges better and faster.
If you are an employer, this will also help you comprehend the perspective of your employees well and find the perfect remote setup for excellent productivity.